OK everyone, the final retrograde of this very interesting year is upon us, starting tomorrow. I figured I would update my post from September. The tips below are in general for every retrograde, but with this one being over the holidays, I wanted to add some extra warnings. As we gather with our loved ones to celebrate whatever we celebrate this time of year (happy holidays, by the way), it is very important that we take great care in our communication and travel.
Spirits may be imbibed and words may flow… and be completely misconstrued. Even more so during a retrograde. Try to keep yourself in check and remember to pass your words through the filters first: Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? If none of the above… ZIP IT. You won’t regret it, I promise. Even you feel it passes all of those filters it might be best to steer clear of hot button topics like religion and politics. Just sayin’!
As we travel to see loved ones for the various celebrations, make sure to leave ample time and have a back up plan if things are delayed. Or, just EXPECT things to not go as planned. This time of year, depending on where you live, inclement weather can make holiday travel treacherous. Mercury in retrograde likes to mess with this even further. Be extra careful, don’t take risks, and remember that your loved ones would rather you arrive safely than rush and be in an accident.
This round of Mercury in retrograde is happening from December 19 through January 8 and it will likely wreak havoc on communication, travel, and technology.
So how does one survive the 3 weeks of this hellatious retrograde, apart from hiding in a cave the whole time? I bring you (once more)…
LaurDoone’s tips for getting through Mercury in retrograde with your relationships, dignity, and job intact:
- Zip your lips. Seriously. If you must speak/write/communicate, do so sparingly, thoughtfully, and with kindness. I would suggest keeping controversial opinions and thoughts to yourself at this time or think very carefully how to present them. No matter how clear you think you’re coming across, the retrograde will definitely mix up your message. Things that you normally joke with people about might be misunderstood or seem offensive right now.
- Read and re-read any and all emails, notes, texts, or documents before sending. Same goes for anything you receive, before you respond. Firing off a quick email to a work colleague that you disagree with could end badly. Seriously, read everything at least twice so that you are sure you are not creating a misunderstanding or interpreting something incorrectly.
- Put off any major decisions or purchases. Because Mercury in retrograde likes to misconstrue communication during the retrograde and create unclear results, it’s best to hold off until after the retrograde is finished botching things up. It would be terrible to sign a contract right now and find out when the dust settles later in the month that what you are now contractually obligated to is not what you thought it was. If you must make a major decision or purchase or agreement, take extra care to make sure you are crystal clear on what you are getting.
- Back up and protect all of your devices. Perhaps power down and put away devices you don’t use frequently during this time. Power down frequently used devices after each use to minimize whatever electronic damage Mercury in retrograde wants to dish out. Pay extra attention to where you put your phones and tablets so they don’t find their way into water or with a cracked screen on the ground.
- Allow for extra travel time. Whether you are flying, driving, or other transport… there will be delays and mishaps, it’s almost guaranteed. Leave extra early for work. Mercury in retrograde likes to mess with travel. Keep an eye on the weather forecasts, traffic reports, flight delays and security lines.
There you have it. Good luck, and hopefully everything remains relatively sane until January 9th!